APTN National News
Anyone can now provide input on a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women through an online survey launched by the Liberal government Tuesday.
“We want to hear from Canadians on this issue of national significance,” said Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett in a statement. “We need to hear from all Canadians – especially survivors, families and loved ones, Indigenous organizations, and provinces and territories – to help us identify the best process for this inquiry.”
Bennett is expected to be in Thunder Bay Wednesday meeting with families of MMIW as part of the government’s ongoing pre-inquiry meetings seeking input on how the inquiry should look.
The Liberal government announced last month an inquiry would take place later this year, but not before hearing from families, frontline workers, political leaders and other stakeholders.
The survey is expected to reach those who can’t attend the meetings, scheduled to happened across Canada.
Following the meeting in Thunder Bay Wednesday, representatives from the Liberal government will head to Yellowknife Friday, then on to Whitehorse Jan. 11, Vancouver Jan. 13 and Prince George, B.C. Jan. 15, Halifax Jan. 20, Quebec City Jan. 21 and Montreal Jan. 22.
More locations will be added as they are confirmed, the government said on a dedicated web page to the meetings.
The first meeting happened Dec. 11 at a downtown Ottawa hotel and was attended by Bennett, Minister of Justice Jody Wilson-Raybould and Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu.
Over 70 family members also attended the closed-door meeting, as well as front-line Indigenous organizations.
Click here for a link to the page.