APTN

Contact Us Digital Drum Twitter Facebook Youtube Google + Instagram

Canadian Forces change search and rescue protocol following Labrador teen’s death



Canadian Forces change search and rescue protocol following Labrador teen’s death

APTN National News
OTTAWA-The Canadian Forces have changed the way they respond to search and rescue calls following the death of a Labrador teen earlier this year.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay said during question period Thursday that the Canadian Forces would implement a “call-back protocol” the next time they receive a request for help. Under the new protocol, military personnel would call back provincial search and rescue officials on their need for search and rescue aircraft.

“This ongoing dialogue will continue until the file is closed,” said MacKay.

Burton Winters, 14, was found 19 kilometres from the place where his snowmobile became stuck on the frozen sea ice near his home of Makkovik, on the north coast of Labrador.

Winters was reported missing on Jan. 29, but his body wasn’t found until four days later. It took two days for military search and rescue helicopters, based in Gander, Nfld., to join the search.

Winters’ death triggered a large public outcry across Newfoundland and Labrador. Many called for establishing a search and rescue team in Labrador.

Tags: , , ,