APTN Programming Mission
The APTN Programming department develops, commissions and acquires distinctive Aboriginal content which reflects our pride and heritage. APTN is committed to enabling Aboriginal Peoples to share their stories and convey them to a domestic and international audience.
APTN Programming Vision
APTN strives to be domestically and internationally recognized as the leading source for distinctively Aboriginal audio-visual content produced by, for and about Aboriginal Peoples.
APTN Mission Statement
Aboriginal Peoples Television Network is sharing our Peoples’ journey, celebrating our cultures, inspiring our children and honouring the wisdom of our Elders.
- APTN seeks innovative documentary, children and youth, music and variety with rich and substantial digital media content.
- We intend to increase programming that originates in Aboriginal languages
- We currently broadcast programming in English (56%), French (16%) and Aboriginal languages (28%)
- Our program schedule must be 75% Canadian
- Our programming celebrates our rich heritage and shares our unique and diverse stories with all Canadians
- APTN will give a forum to Aboriginal artists and producers to exhibit their work, but we will not license more than two series or major productions from one production company within any single broadcast season
- APTN will reflect an appropriate balance among the needs of all Aboriginal people including First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- APTN will endeavour to be relevant to all regions of the country
- APTN will broadcast programs in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- APTN seeks proposals that include plans for web development or other new media platform outlets such as podcasting or video on-demand; Smartphone application; internet applications such as interactive map; Game; Alternate Reality Game; Video Blog; Webisodes; Mobisodes; (i.e. scripted content); Text Blog; Streaming; Viral video; User-generated content; Social networking (e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc…) Forum; Audiovisual content such as interviews; behind the scenes; webinars.